Where it all Started
Originally founded by Arthur Edgar Oscroft in 1947, with production of the first parts being manufactured from the rear of his home ‘Providence Place’ Headless Cross, Redditch. Arthur worked at Austin Rover until he retired in 1967, running AE Oscroft alongside his full-time job with the help of his wife Dorothy.
In the early years Dorothy ran the factory during the day, running the presses, as well as doing the company’s accounts. She later employed and supervised a team of press operators, whilst Eddie would set the presses during the evening once he had finished work. Dorothy remained very much involved in the company as it expanded, continuing to manage the accounts and wages until their daughter, Diana, came into the business and took over her role.
A E Oscroft (AEO) expanded as far as it could at Providence Place with 5-6 power presses, numerous hand presses, drilling machines and ancillary equipment. Circa 1965, AEO bought the premises in Other Road, which was a two storey building consisting of 9000 sq.ft.
The business continued to prosper and grow gaining recognition within the automotive industry for quality pressings.
After finishing an apprenticeship at Austin Rover and two years of service in the forces in 1957 Arthur’s eldest son Ian joined the company. Three years later in 1961 Arthur’s youngest son Chris joined his brother after completing a five year apprenticeship in machine tool making at Archdale Machine Tools.
In 1971 AEO’s founder, Arthur Edgar Oscroft, tragically passed away at the age of 69 leaving his two sons, Ian and Chris, to run the business.
During the early 1980’s Ian’s two sons, Guy and Tim joined the business after completing an apprenticeship and studying a degree in production engineering, respectively.
The business continued to flourish and outgrew its current location and in 1986 Chris and Ian purchased an 18000 sq.ft premises in Piper’s Road, Redditch.
In the early 1990’s Chris’s son, Chris Jnr, joined the business and started his career at Pipers Road.
With the knowledge of three generations in pressings the company has steadily progressed adding new products and technologies with its recent expansion in 2013 to a new site comprising of 53,500 sq.ft.